Monday, April 1, 2013

Easter Sunday

Another enjoyable day in Haiti.


The big event for today was organizing an Easter egg hunt for all the kids.  Hunting for eggs was a new experience for everyone here.  We had to explain how the entire thing worked.  This morning we spent some time filling about 200 eggs with various candies.  It was a bit of a task as most of the eggs were in two pieces in a large bag.  First we had to sort the eggs by color then try to figure out which halves went with each other.





 In the afternoon we corralled the kids in one area so we could hide the eggs.  Ben, Simon, Shelby and I started to hide all the eggs.  We had a couple of problems with kid leakage when they suddenly showed up picking up eggs they watched us hide.  Somehow we ended up with Petoucheka helping hiding eggs with us.  After we completed hiding the eggs, there was an in depth coverage of the rules by Eveline and an explanation of the symbolism of the Easter egg.







 When we turned them loose there was a bit of chaos as they all scrambled to find eggs.  Ben, Simon and Heidi helped out the youngest ones find eggs.   Everyone seemed happy with the hunt.

After the great hunt, I once again found myself under the tutelage of Professor Enock.  This time I was smart enough to pick out some more conversational Kreyol.  Unfortunately for me, this time he wanted me to spell words as well as speak them.  Little did I know that they use the French pronunciation for the alphabet.   So in addition to trying to spell strange words, I had to spell them in a strange alphabet.  "P" killed me as it was now "Pay".  "Y" became "ee-grek " or in my mind egret.  Then there were all those silly vowels with accent marks.  I think he got tired of listening to me spell in the wrong alphabet we switched to some hand written conversational Kreyol which was slightly easier.  I enjoyed my time working with Enock.  I can safely say that I now know more than I had earlier in the week.


I think that we are done with all the fun for today.  Bedtime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment