Saturday, March 30, 2013

Saturday (and a few from Friday) afternoon-ish

Another adventurous day!

We got up and had our breakfast - fresh pineapple this time!!!!  Dennis was as happy as Simon was with the watermelon!  After that, I got the kids "Mug Shots" up on the blog... and even took a few that I missed yesterday! 

Oh - and while doing that we got into a long discussion about what grade the kids are in and how many grades I took.  I think it blew their minds when I told them I was in school for 19 years plus three years training at the hospital.  The length of my schooling alone was older than any of them!  The conversation ended with Heidi showing them her ballet recital dance and Petouchka and Anita dancing to Haitian music for us.  It was fun!!!

Eveline then took us all (including Petoucheka) on a tour of PAP and Petionville (the epicenter of the earthquake of 2010).  We saw a lot of neat sights and I will make a separate post for those pictures.  We saw where the palace had been (it was only torn down perhaps 3 months ago... 3 years after the earthquake) and the cathedral which is still in ruins. I had never been to Petionville... it is Beautiful!! I guess it was only a small village before the earthquake but afterwards it was rebuilt to a major city with real markets and banks and hotels.  Wow!  Amazing how one city is devastated after such a disaster yet another climbs to better itself.



Petoucheka fell asleep with her ams around my neck and after I pried them loose I saw she was asleep and snapped a picture... too cute!
 




After we returned, Dennis caught a quick nap while Ben, Simon, and Heidi updated their journals while we waited for lunch.  Again, Eveline joined our family for lunch!  It was nice!  We had pumpkin soup and spaghetti (with sausage and onions) and bread.  Yummy!!!  Petoucheka had rice and chicken (bones included).  The Haitian eat the bones (well, crunch them up and suck out the marrow before they spit out the pieces).  I think we will soon have a draw for who is the pickiest eater in the family!!!  Simon weasled (yes, this is a verb in our family) some 7up from Eveline and so she promised Ben Coca cola for dinner time... then Simon weasled that into the fruity Haitian cola!!  Funny!

Now, Dennis is out back with the boys playing frisbee and the girls and I are going to go join them!!  :)  Ooops... nevermind, just like at home - Simon threw it over the fence.  Oh well... it's a charitable donation.  LOL!

Oh - and I found a few photos than reminded me of stories to catch up from yesterday as well....

To appreciate this first one you need to read Dennis' post about the kids taking our cameras and shooting random photos...  These (just like that post of Dennis') are Petoucheka's but now with her new shoes... :)


My silly girls....  Guess which one is Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer...




The 4 kids plus Son Son playing on the playground




 



Recognize the Camera Weasel  (yes, this word is also a term of endearment in our family as well)



I caught them wandering around together....




Notice the hair on the Strawberry Shortcake doll...  it's been Haitianized... 

 

Ok.... enough rambling!  I will work on "The Rogers Family Tour" photos later...!  :)

Bondye beni ou! (God bless you)
Shelby

No comments:

Post a Comment